- The Competition begins Saturday, September 12, 2015, and ends when the public is notified of the Winners at the awards show in late 2015. ALL ENTRIES MUST BE RECEIVED BY WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 7, 2015, AT 11:59 PM ET. Information on how to enter and/or to receive Prizes form part of these Competition Rules. By submitting an Entry, each registrant agrees to the Competition Terms and RULES and warrants that his or her Entry complies with all requirements set out in the Competition Terms and RULES. This is a skill-based competition and chance plays no part in the determination of any Winner.
- Subject to the limitations set out herein, individuals between the ages of 13-18 may participate (“You”). You must complete registration to participate. You must be at least 13 years of age at the time of registration to participate, but You cannot be older than 18 years of age by October 4, 2015, to participate. You cannot reside in nor be governed by countries that are prohibited by law, regulation (including United States or other applicable export laws and regulations), treaty or administrative act from entering into trade relations (including export of technology) with the United States of America or its citizens. CONTEST IS VOID IN IRAN, NORTH KOREA, SUDAN, SYRIA, AND WHERE PROHIBITED. Please visit http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Pages/Programs.aspx for a current list of prohibited countries.
- The Content created or provided by You must be Your own. You represent and warrant that Your Entry is an original work created solely by You, that You own all Intellectual Property in and to the Entry, and that no other party has any right, title, claim or interest in the Entry, except as expressly identified by You to us in writing. By submitting Your Entry, You are providing a royalty-free, perpetual, and non-exclusive license of your Entry and all associated Entry Content to Khan Academy, as more specifically described in the Terms & Conditions. If there are portions of the Entry that are encumbered by third-party intellectual property rights, it is Your responsibility to disclose them, and such third party content may cause Your Entry to be disqualified.
- You may participate by registering, and You may not register more than one true and uniform identity; multiple registrations for a participant using multiple identities are not allowed. We reserve the right to disqualify any Entry made by a participant violating this limitation, regardless of whether all of the respective parties had knowledge of such violation.
- The application requirements for Your Entry are clearly described on this website. There are three phases of assessment for each qualified Entry. They are:
- Upon submitting Your Entry, qualified Entries will be distributed to other registrants during a Peer to Peer assessment of those Entries. You will be required to assess at least five (5) other Entries from Your Peers. If You do not complete those assessments, using the tools and process described on this Website, Your participation may be terminated. We anticipate a large number of Entries, and therefore specific provisions have been put in place to ensure fairness and to address the need to break any ties. As you consider how you will assess your Peers, please take time to read and understand the TRAIT SCORING RUBRIC that You will use. For more information on how scores from Your Peers will be calculated, please see the LEVEL PLAYING FIELD description on this Website. Based on normalized scores from each Peer review, a rank order of the Entries will be populated. The top seventy-five (75) Entries will be subjected to an Administrative Review, to ensure compliance with all of the requirements. If the top seventy-five (75) Entries qualify, they will advance to the next phase of review. Where any ties occur, those who have received an equal normalized score during the Peer to Peer review will be further ranked according to a secondary score (the grade score) provided by those same Peers. If the grade score is also equal among a sub-set of ties, then the final rank order those Entries will be calculated based on the order in which each registrant completed their Peer reviews. Therefore, it is important for each registrant to review and finalize scores for each assigned Entry as thoughtfully and efficiently as possible. Please note that this process was designed both to narrow the number of Entries by utilizing the skills and talents of our registrants and to increase the exposure that registrants receive for their submissions. Therefore, we hope that You will approach the Peer to Peer review process as an educational experience and with good faith by providing an honest and sincere assessment of Your fellow registrants’ work.
- Once the top 75 Finalists from the Peer to Peer review process have been identified, those Finalists will advance to an Evaluation Panel review. The Evaluation Panel consists of experts who are identified on this Website. They will utilize the same Trait Scoring Rubric to score each assigned Finalist, and each Finalist’s Entry will receive five reviews from a random assortment of Evaluation Panel members. Scores from assigned Evaluation Panel members are statistically normalized. Based on a rank order of those scores, the top twenty (20) will be designated as remaining Finalists. From those top twenty (20) remaining Finalists, a second Administrative Review will take place to select the Entries that will advance to the last round of assessment.
- The final round of assessment consists of an undetermined number of Entries, drawn from the top twenty (20) remaining Finalists. Those Entries will be assessed by the Selection Committee, who are also identified on this Website. The Selection Committee will take into account all of the scores from the previous reviewers and any other criteria that they determine necessary to select the final Winners.
- Should You be selected as a Winner, You will be required to enter into a separate agreement with Khan Academy and/or their designees to receive any Prize, so long as the conditions of your success are met in compliance with all of the stated and relevant Terms. You may not submit any petitions for a division of any Prize. If You are a minor, You will be required to assist in securing parental or guardian consent during the designation of any Prizes and as part of entering into any separate agreement with Khan Academy and/or their designees. The recipients of any Prizes will be announced on this Website and will be required to participate in an awards ceremony, tentatively scheduled between November 6-8, 2015.
- While RAMPIT, LLC (“RAMPIT”) is providing an online platform for your participation, RAMPIT is not responsible for the payment of any Prize. Payment of the Prize is the sole responsibility of the Competition Sponsor and/or designees, and under the Terms each participant has agreed to look solely to the Competition Sponsor for the payment of any Prize. Please note that the Winner of any Prize may be subject to certain taxes. Under the Terms, Winners of any Prize will be solely responsible for paying such taxes. Neither Khan Academy, as the Competition Sponsor, nor RAMPIT and/or its affiliates will accept responsibility for paying such taxes.
- By submitting your Entry, you agree to release, discharge and hold harmless Khan Academy and its partners, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising agencies, agents and their employees, officers, directors and representatives from any Loss arising out of your participation in this Competition and the acceptance and use, misuse, or possession of any Prize. Khan Academy assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, or delay in operation or transmission; communications line failure; theft or destruction of or unauthorized access to Competition entries or entry forms; or alteration of entries or entry forms. Khan Academy is not responsible for any problems with or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or any website, human errors of any kind, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to entrants’ or any other persons’ computers related to or resulting from participation, uploading or downloading of any materials related to this Competition.
- THIS COMPETITION IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. Entrants agree that this Competition shall be subject to and governed by the laws of Tennessee and the United States of America and the forum of any dispute shall be in the courts of Davidson County, Tennessee, United States of America. To the extent permitted by law, the right to litigate, to seek injunctive relief or to make any other recourse to judicial or any other procedure in case of disputes or claims resulting from or in connection with this Competition are hereby excluded and any entrant expressly waives any and all such rights. Certain restrictions may apply.
- If for any reason the Competition is not capable of running as planned, due to infection by computer virus, bugs, worms, Trojan horses, denial of service, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the control of RAMPIT and/or Khan Academy that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Competition, Khan Academy reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual(s) who tamper with the process, and/or to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Competition. If Khan Academy terminates the Competition, it will not retain any rights to the submitted Entries.
- Khan Acaedmy, as the Competition Sponsor, reserves the right to disqualify any participant who violates these RULES, the Terms, and any standards of behavior expressed or implied in them. We look forward to receiving your most thoughtful and creative Entry.
- Any employee, contractor, immediate family members or those living in the same household as an employee or contract to Khan Academy or RAMPIT are prohibited from entering the Competition.
Entry Requirements; Rights in Entry Materials; Representations and Warranties
Videos may not contain or depict anything that is obscene, sexually explicit, profane, racist, vulgar, defamatory, unlawful or offensive, or that infringes upon or violates the rights of any person or entity. Entrants must at all times follow all applicable laws, rules and regulations, and must not take any actions that are illegal or dangerous while attempting to take Videos.
By submitting a Video, each Entrant irrevocably grants Sponsor the unlimited right to post the Video on Sponsor’s or its designee’s Web sites and to otherwise use, reproduce, publicly display, publicly perform, exhibit and otherwise exploit the Video in any manner, without separate compensation. Entrants represent and warrant that the Video they submit: (a) does not violate any applicable law, rule or regulation, and (b) does not violate any copyright, trademark, publicity right, privacy right, or any other right of any third party. Each Entrant further represents and warrants that he or she owns and is free to grant to Sponsor all rights in and to the Video that is granted herein. Once submitted, Videos become the exclusive property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. Videos that Sponsor determines in its sole judgment are not reasonably pertinent to the subject matter of the Promotion, which are a duplicate of a previous submission, or which are deemed inappropriate or ineligible by Sponsor staff for any reason may be disqualified in Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion. Any submission otherwise in violation of these Official Rules may also be disqualified. Sponsor will have no obligation (express or implied) to use or display any Video and may at any time abandon the use of the Video for any reason, or for no reason. Entrant agrees to defend, indemnify and hold Sponsor harmless from and against, any claims, liabilities, actions, damages, costs and expenses (including attorneys' fees) arising out of or in connection with the Video or Entrant’s participation in the Promotion.
As a condition of being awarded the Prize (except where prohibited by law) the potential winner may be required to execute and deliver to Sponsor a signed affidavit of eligibility and acceptance of these Official Rules and may be required to execute or obtain certain other releases, documents and permissions as required by Sponsor.
Entries become the property of Sponsor and will not be returned. Except where prohibited by law, entry into the Promotion constitutes permission to use Entrant’s name, hometown, likeness and prize information, without limitation, for Sponsor's advertising and promotional purposes without further permission or compensation. Entrant agrees to sign any and all on camera release agreements provided to Entrant by sponsor to enable Sponsor to use Entrant’s name and likeness in connection with the Breakthrough Prize Awards 2015 for no additional compensation. As a condition of being awarded a prize, winner may be required to confirm such permission in writing and execute and deliver a written affidavit of eligibility, acceptance of these Official Rules, release of liability, tax forms, and other reasonable documentation.
You may contact us with any questions or comments about these RULES. Please enter “Junior Breakthrough Challenge” in the subject line of your email. You may reach us directly at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Competition Sponsor is:
P.O. Box 1630
Mountain View, CA 94042